Turkey Tacos + Black Bean Salsa
Happy hump day, cookies! ( foodies was taken so I’m using cookies. Cute, huh?)
Continuing with my high fiber diet, Elana gave me some great and quick recipes to try out. This just might be my favorite thing I’ve made to date, mainly because I took it upon myself to improvise, something I’m still getting up courage to do.
Below is the recipe she originally gave me, and below that I’ve noted the modifications I made to it.
Speedy Black Bean Wrap
Serves 6 wraps
- 1/2 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (or thaw frozen corn kernels)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chili peppers
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 6 fat-free whole-grain tortillas, 10 inches in diameter- look for brands that have added fiber, such as La Tortilla Factory
- 1/2 cup crumbled Cotija cheese (can sub mild feta or part-skim Mozzaella)
- 1 cup salsa
Combine black beans, corn, cilantro, chili peppers, onions, tomato and garlic and stir. Microwave on high power for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir and heat again for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Repeat until the mixture is hot.
Place 2 tortillas between paper napkins or paper towels and warm in the microwave for 20 seconds on high. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
Add about 1/2 cup bean mixture on 1 tortilla. Top with 2 tablespoons cheese and 2 tablespoons salsa. Fold in the sides and fold the bottom of the tortilla up over the filling, then roll to close. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and serve immediately.
I have a man that likes meat. Lucky me. So, I added some ground turkey that I seasoned with chili pepper.
Also, instead of the beans and corn, I bought a can of Bush’s Grilling Beans, the fiesta flavor that included black beans and corn.
I used a can of Rotel insteal of a tomato, which I wish I hadn’t cuz it was a little soggier. <– how weird does that word look?
I was out of cheese, so I took a string cheese snack that I had and took it to the shredder.
I also put chili powder in the black bean mixture. Hey, I like my chili powder.
3 Comments + Add Comment
Got anything to say? Go ahead and leave a comment!
put a bird on it
- thegoodolboy: Oh em gee. It’s one of Nels Cline’s guitars. Last...
- Because, yeah, it’s been TWENTY YEARS. thanks for the...
- Setlist for tonight’s @thecivilwars show (Taken with...
- fromme-toyou: The kettle can wait… This couple sells jewels...
- Panelists Lynn Wyatt, @chloedao, Luis Soto, Jay Marroquin after...